In 1110 the Monks of the New Minster, which had been founded by King Alfred, removed outside the City, and the site became the parish of St. Maurice, a Norman arch, presumably part of the Minster, being still in the tower of the church. About the fifteenth century, Winchester went through a time of great financial depression and numbers of the small churches fell into ruin. At the beginning of the sixteenth century the parishes of St. Mary, Tanner Street, and St. Pancras, Wongar Street, were joined to St. Maurice, and St. Rumwold to St. Mary Calendar. In 1682 St. George, St. Mary Wode, St. Mary Calendar, St. Peter Colebrook, the churches being in ruins, were united to St. Maurice ; the parish then containing all the north-east part of the City. In 1855 the northern part was separated into a new parish (Holy Trinity).